All the Biology SLOP you need.

Here is where you will find all my Biology GCSE SLOP booklets.

I’ve taken the excellent work done by a large group of biology teachers and updated them to include:

• More questions (over 100 in each booklet)
  • More maths in biology (graphs, percentage increases, standard form etc..)
  • More literacy support (refutation texts , graphic organisers)
  • Interleaving from prior knowledge

As far as sequencing these follow the AQA spec. Even though there are times when the sequencing might be better another way I have kept to the spec to ensure coverage. I wont be offended if you cut and paste until your heart is content to suite your route through.

If the content is broadly similar for the Combined and Biology you will find one booklet with HT content and triple identified. When there are large differences I have made two versions of the booklet.

They are far from perfect but this V1.0 is my starting point for this year. I will aim to review and extend them as the year progresses.

Feel free to download and use. If you spot a mistake please let me know. I would think the formatting might need to be checked if you use a different version of word or google docs as, in my experience, things seem to move about a bit.

I haven’t got any answers completed yet. So if you write some please let me have a copy.

For a great blog on teaching using booklets, see Adam Boxer’s blog here.

For more on why booklets are such a significant tool for closing the gap, see here.

A huge thanks to the amazing teachers who I have proudly stolen from:

If you haven’t joined #CogSciSci yet (also free), see the form at https://achemicalorthodoxy.wordpress.com/2018/07/17/cogscisci-an-introduction/

B7 Ecology (no food production )

19 Comments Add yours

1. Michelle Tarbox says:

Hello Adam, I am very appreciative of your willingness to share all of the hard work you have put into your SLOP booklets and I have been using some of the data examples and questions to develop my own SLOP booklets for my AP Biology curriculum. I have looked over the Ecology Booklet and have noticed that there is no Graph Q in the booklet to answer question 175. Is there somewhere that I could reference it and copy it? Possibly a link?
    Thank you for your reply in advance.
    Michelle Tarbox

1. Adam Robbins says:

The bar graph is on the next page (p24). It has one set of complete bars and the students have to draw the second set for stream Y

2. Kate Nichols says:

Hi Adam

This is fantastic! This will really help me with planning for school closures now too, as I will use these to base the remote learning on. I will try and put together some answer booklets for them, and send them over.

1. Adam Robbins says:

Thanks. Glad they’re of use

2. silvia says:

hi kate can i have a link to you marking please

3. Edwina Stanger says:

If you get together answer booklets I would be very grateful Katie, I’m currently re writing out SoL for Ecology and this will really help.

3. Adam Cleaver says:

Hi Adam, Fantastic resource, thanks for sharing, wish I’d found them sooner. I had a quick look at The combined paper B6 and spotted a mistake on q10 unless you are asking a trick question! Bacteria divide through binary fission so any reference to mitosis is incorrect.

1. Adam Robbins says:

Thanks for spotting! So true

4. Olly says:

Thanks for this Adam – the are exceptional and will save my Faculty a ton of work – we’ll be using some over these to turbo review all the remote learning that did/didn’t happen during lockdown. Not sure how we’ll get it all in for next Summer, but I guess we’ve got tp try.

1. Adam Robbins says:

Glad to help. good luck

5. Jess says:

Hi Adam,

Thanks a lot for these! I found somebody on TES had an answer booklet to your B7 Ecology booklet. I suggested they send it to you but I downloaded it myself just in case. Do you already have the answers for this or would you like me to forward it on?

1. Adam Robbins says:

Yes please forward it on or the link so I can credit it. Cheers

1. Jess says:

Apologies, I went to find it and SOMEHOW I had saved totally the wrong document. So annoying!

6. Ethan Summers says:

These are very useful, you don’t happen to have answer booklets for any yet?

1. Jess says:

I’ve got the answers for homeostasis but I’ve also added in a load more exam questions as per my LM’s instructions, so you’d have to fish those out if you didn’t want them.

Liked by 1 person

1. Solitary Vox says:

Hi Jess, any chance I could get a copy of your homeostasis answers please? fashiongirl100@hotmail.com. thank you 🙂

7. Stephanie Mercer says:

Is there are mark scheme? Is it possible for you to add it or send me a link? Thanks.